Minggu, 13 Januari 2013

My Top 10 Cake Decorating Tools



Hey everyone!

Today, I'm sharing ten of my favorite cake decorating tools. I have shared a lot of tutorials for cake and cupcake toppers here on Bake Happy but I haven't had the chance to blog about the tools I love to use. So today is the day I will do just that.

My top favorites aren't even the fancy ones. I'm pretty sure even if you are not a cake decorator, you may even have some of the tools on the list. And, you may probably even be surprised at some of my choices as they are common as sugar. 
If your thinking of starting up on cake decorating as a hobby or as a business, it really is tempting to go out of your way and scout Chocolate Lover, or SweetCraft or Baking Buddies for the latest cake decorating tools made available. I would not even dare to account for all the toys, err.. I mean, tools that I have acquired over the years (even cringing at some of my choices! What was I thinkng?!). So here I thought I'd save you from all of that by listing my top ten cake decorating tools. I mean, if I had the chance to visit my 25 or 26 year-old self, I would probably print out this post and give it to her (or me).

These are basically all the tools you need to start cake decorating (in no particular order):


1. Ateco Rings
I love these because they cover every size possible.  Want to make cupcake faces toppers or how about the Avengers Cupcake Toppers? These rings will just about help you do just that.
2. Ruler
Don't have a square, rectangle or triangle fondant cutter? A ruler is all you need to cut a straight line out of a fondant.
3. Knife (regular or the X-acto one)
Comes hand in hand with the ruler. I use just the ordinary kitchen knife. I do have an X-Acto one but I still prefer using the regular knife since it does the job perfectly well.
4. Scissors
Too tired to make use of the ruler and knife technique? Use a pair of scissors. I actually have several pairs of varying length that I use from time to time to help ease up on the work.
5. Fondant Tools
These babies come in sets.  You really just need the three shown below. 


6. Rolling Pin
Used to flatten out fondant evenly. This tool is definitely a must have, especially if you are making two dimensional designs like this one
7. Offset Spatula
Working with buttercream? This will be an invaluable tool. Sometimes, if I'm too lazy to stand to get the kitchen knife, I use this instead.
8. Toothpicks
I use this for support when making heavy fondant toppers. Sort of like a cupcake topper's backbone.



9. Brush
Almost always included in all fondant / gumpaste tutorials in Bake Happy because instead of making the usual tylo glue, I just use water to paste things together. Works fine. 


10. Hands
And last but not the least. This is the most important tool that we cake decorators have. You can see mine in action when I made this fondant poodle. So guys, make sure to take good cake of your hands, okay?

There you have it folks. My list. Care to tell me what's in yours?


1 komentar:

  1. Fantastic Post! Lot of information is helpful in some or the other way. Keep updating.cake decorating tools

    BalasHapus